Have you ever heard of SUP, otherwise known as stand up paddleboarding? This growing watersport involves balancing on a surfing-type board while using a paddle to navigate your way through a waterway.
As you can imagine, this activity uses a lot of muscles – just think of the core muscles required to keep you balanced on that board! Because it’s such a full-body sport there are many health benefits. Here are 6:
1) It uses almost every muscle – SUP literally uses almost every muscle in your body at some point! Get ready to be sore the next day J. But if you want a true full-body workout, you found it! It’s also great for cross training.
2) Vary your workout intensity – Depending on the type of waters you choose to navigate, you can increase or decrease the difficulty of your workout. Choose to venture into the ocean surf, as we do here at Hilton Head Outfitters, for a more intense calorie burner, or choose a calmer area, such as a creek or inlet to keep it from being so challenging.
3) Low impact – If pounding the pavement while running is too hard on your shins or hips, SUP can be a great low-impact alternative. When paddleboarding, you are much less likely to injure joints or muscles.
4) It’s peaceful – SUP offers mental benefits, as well. Paddling your way through the water takes focus, which relieves your mind of all those stress-inducing thoughts. Plus, you’re making your way through a natural environment like Hilton Head, full of beauty at every turn from birds to fish to live oak trees.
5) It’s a calorie burner – Because you have to use your whole body, SUP is a serious calorie burner. It’s a great activity to take up if you’re trying to lose weight. You may not even notice you’re working out with the natural beauty all around you!
6) It improves balance – You must learn to stay balanced on the paddleboard lest you find yourself in the water! Many athletes would benefit from a greater sense of a balance and SUP can be a fun and fit way to improve in that area.
What looks fun about stand up paddleboarding to you? Would you be willing to try it?
To rent a stand up paddleboard, visit www.hiltonheadoutfitters.com or give us a call at 866-650-4132 and we’ll get you on your way to SUPing Hilton Head!