While winters here are not so bad — we have yet to see a single snowflake (and rarely ever do!) and have had only a handful of “chilly” days — we are still looking forward to springtime on the island.
Here are five reasons why:
1) Azaleas in bloom – If you haven’t seen the glory of the azaleas in bloom in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, you are truly missing out. These wild, bushy blooms dot the side of the road and fill Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort with beautiful colors of purple, pink, white and red.
2) Kayaking and canoeing – Spring is perfect for hopping in our 11-mile inland lagoon system for a peaceful paddle without having to worry that you’ll be too cold if you get a little wet. Get in some exercise while exploring the natural beauty of Hilton Head Island.
3) Wildlife – The wildlife start to come out and about as the weather warms from our plentiful birds to colorful butterflies and of course, dolphins and even the occasional otter who swims up into the lagoon behind Hilton Head Outfitters.
4) Bikes, bikes and more bikes – We love biking the 50 miles of paved paths on the island in spring, as they are as busy as they are during summer and the weather is perfect for wearing shorts — or maybe even your swimsuit — as you head to the beach, the oceanfront Dunes House or even the General Store for some yummy fried chicken.
5) Walks on the beach – While the water may still be a bit chilly for a dip, the sunshine makes it plenty warm for a walk on the beach. With the ocean breeze during winter, it can be a bit too cold for comfort. Spend time running, beachcombing or keeping an eye out for dolphins.
What do you like most about spring on Hilton Head Island?